Sunday, April 14, 2013

2013-4-13 Still at Sea on the Eurodam

Well, we didn’t make it to Ponta Delgada in the Azores today. It was just too windy and turbulent. We don’t feel it much on board but there is a minor gale outside. We were all disappointed. The captain said he went to the Azores once with his father when he was seven years old and he was really looking forward to visiting there again.

I’m sure the tour operators on shore are really bummed, too, since they need all the tourists they can get. We had an eight hour trip planned and are sad it didn’t work out. Now, we won’t make landfall until Tuesday in Malaga, Spain. We are basically roaming around the ocean until it’s time to pull into port.

To assuage all the upset about missing the port, the Captain gave everyone a free glass of champagne with dessert. That means nothing to us. But, we had a man at our table who turned 80 today so we all had chocolate cake.

I read two books on diet this week and they are diametrically opposed on what constitutes a good diet.  Chocolate cake is not on either list. One says that you should eat protein, veggies and fruit every two or three hours to avoid diabetes. The other says that we should all be vegetarians. I decided to try vegetarian for a while since someone else is doing the cooking. They always offer a vegetarian option so tonight I had fruit, barley soup and fried eggplant with marinara sauce on top of spaghetti.

Later, we went up to the Lido buffet and discovered the starfruit from Indonesia. They call it blingbean, I think. It’s crunchy and sweet.  I took a picture of it. The starfruit is on one side and a pear on the other.


We are setting the clock forward another hour tonight. We will be seven hours ahead of Utah tomorrow.

I took two more computer classes today. We had no internet access so one class was a waste of time. In the second class, I played some games like Cut the Rope. He showed us how to download music, videos, games, etc

I am sorely disappointed with the battery life on my Kindle Fire. I really needed it today and it ran out of battery about two o’clock. Six hours later and it still isn’t charged up. Five hours of battery sounded like a lot when I bought it, but I wish I had bought the regular Kindle now.

April 14, 2013

CNN is back and a little internet came with it. The ocean has calmed down and all is well.