Sunday, April 21, 2013

2013-4-19 Roaming Near Rome

Most people got off the boat today and went home. We didn’t have anything planned so we took the free shuttle into Civitavecchia where the ship was docked. 

I counted nine big cruise ships lining the harbor today. Ours and the Ryndam were both from Holland America. I got a chance to see the other  ships up close. Only HA ships have the beautiful covered promenade decks where you can walk around the outside of the entire ship.

There is plenty of history here but we couldn’t explore it because the shuttle didn’t accommodate scooters. There are Roman walls all around the pier and some ruins date back many centuries. We did find an internet café right next to the pier and it had good computers and access for 3 Euros per hour. So, I cleaned out my email.

We wanted to buy some Tylenol at the local Pharmacia but couldn’t make the clerk understand what we needed. He kept trying to sell us aspirin or ibuprofen. There is free acetaminophen in the boat clinic but I thought I would buy a bottle for convenience.

I wanted to swim while everyone was off the ship but they close off the pool when we are in port—so the crew can get a few hours in port, too.

We have two new couples at our table. There are many more people on board who don’t speak much English. Some of them are from Australia. (That’s a joke.) One of the new couples is from the Brisbane area. He said he made his living selling Christian books.

We were very good at dinner and skipped dessert. But, when we got back to our room, there was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries waiting in our room. Bill doesn’t like them so I was forced to eat them all myself.

Just as we were getting ready for bed, Bill was brushing his teeth and one of his caps came off. I considered this possibility before we left and I brought a little kit to replace caps. He got the cap back on but says it is awkward to chew. The temporary cap isn’t supposed to last long. Maybe it will last until we get home. Let’s hope. He’s on soft food only for the next month. It’s ice cream and oatmeal from now on.

We have a long expensive trip planned for today so, of course, I had trouble sleeping last night. I have a terrible habit of worrying about every little thing and can’t sleep. We are meeting some people we don’t know at the foot of the gangplank for a trip to Pisa and Florence.