Tuesday, April 30, 2013

2013-4-30 Our Fellow Passengers

I was on a cruise once and told a Canadian that I had an idea all Canadians are nice people. She was incensed. She said, "We have our serial killers, too, you know!"

You can never tell who you are talking to on the ship. Today, I saw a preschool boy and his little brother in the hall next to our cabin. The baby was in a stroller and, presumably, the parents were coming out of the cabin at any moment.

I asked the boy “Is this your baby brother?”  He unleashed a torrent of French. My high school French promptly deserted me.  I managed to determine that the boy was either four years old or he would be four years old or he knew someone who was four years old. I couldn’t tell but the number four was in there somewhere.

Shortly after that, I was on the elevator when a short bald man with glasses got on with me. I recognized him as the shore excursion expert who I have only seen from a distance. I immediately launched into some questions I have about our next stop at Naples. I want to go to the Archeology Museum there but wasn’t sure if we can make it on foot.

He said, “You are from Naples, Florida?”  I said no, that I want to visit a museum in Naples, Italy.

He said, “I am a man from Spain.” I apologized profusely. He turned out to be the priest on board the ship but he does resemble the other man, vaguely.

I was on my way to check out the celebration in the Queen’s Lounge. This is appropriately named after Queen Beatrice of the Netherlands. Today, she abdicated the throne making her son the new king. All the people from the Netherlands gathered to watch the Festivities on a large screen.  They were all wearing orange.  I asked one gal if I could take her picture. Her T-shirt reads, “Feeling like a queen today.”