Thursday, April 4, 2013

2013-4-4 Letting Go of my Life on Land

It's time to let go of all the things that comprise my life on shore:

  • I need to let go of knowing where all my kids and grandkids are and what they are doing. It's impossible to keep up without good internet access. They will have to let go of us, too, but I think it will be easier for them. 
  • I need to let go of our dog, Bubbles. I know that Sydney and Jeff will take good care of her.

  • I need to let go of the house and all the contents and trust that all will be well when we return. If the lawns turn brown and the plumbing backs up, we will take care of it later.
  • I need to let go of American TV and especially CNBC. I won't be able to check my stocks compulsively. Jim Cramer and Mad Money will have to go on without me.
  • President Obama is on his own, too, until I get back.
  • I need let go of the Internet and knowing what is happening all the time.
  • Especially, I need to let go of Facebook and let things happen without my input. 

It's time to get ready for:
  • The airport and the airplane. Once again, I will become intimate with a TSA agent. She will make me hold my arms up and pat my crotch. Maybe we will exchange Christmas cards from now on.
  • Struggling with the luggage. Bill has a special method for moving the bags using his scooter.
  • Sitting with my knees in my face for 6 hours. Changing planes. Not fun.
  • The hotel looks good but is out in the middle of nowhere in Ft. Lauderdale. I hope they have good oatmeal since that's all Bill will eat.
  • Meeting new friends. The best part of the whole trip is the great people we meet on the ship.
  • The ship. The rocking and the rolling. The not knowing where anything is. The lifeboat drill. The sanitary lockdown that starts each cruise. 
  • The foreign languages. And the people from Canada and Australia who watch the U.S. like we are an alien race. 
  • The shows! I love the nighttime entertainment. There is supposed to be a great blues band on board this time. 
  • The seasickness. We are going with Meclizine this time. No more patches. 
  • The food and the need to not eat most of it. It's hard but we never gain weight on a cruise. We do that at home.