Sunday, November 8, 2015

2015-11-8 Stormy Weather!

Mohammed, our waiter in the Lido buffet, told us the weather is always rough approaching the Canary Islands. The ocean is choppy today. Bill is careful to stay on his scooter at all times to avoid falling. We talked to a woman in the elevator who fell (on this ship!) 19 months ago and broke her pelvis in three places. She fell while she was balancing on one leg and putting hand lotion on her other leg.

We have a large group of staff who run to help us in the Lido. There are three gorgeous girls from Bali. I have a hard time telling them apart and they know that. One of the Bali gals covers her name badge when I see her so I know that’s Maria but I can’t separate out the other two. Our primary helper is Rumi, from Indonesia. Sometimes the waiters are more attracted to Bill. On our last cruise, there was a waiter who called him “Mr. Bill” and ran to help him. One of the attractions is the chance to drive our scooters, which I have to admit are really fun.

At the show last night we sat behind a man who had Cochlear implants and Bill chatted with him quite a while about how he lost his hearing and learned to use the implants.  Our new friend, Bob, was on the other side of me. We have talked to him several times because he is having trouble with his scooter. He is going to rent one on board ship but is still dickering over the price ($375-500).  Sandie and Don sat on the other side of Bill. Both of them were previously widowed before they met and married. He had a bout with lung cancer and now has back trouble so he is also using a scooter.

The featured show last night was a singing group called The Knights (Brits).They sang some of the old British rock and roll along with a song from Les Mis. They ended with “Satisfaction” by the Rolling Stones.  I used to dance to that song when I was with the USO during the Vietnam War. I still dance but now I dance in my chair.

We have not yet been to the main dining room. Most of the clothes I brought with me are too dressy. And we both brought clothes for the Formal nights but have not taken them off the hangars. It was really hard to pack for this cruise because of the potential for both hot and cold weather. We are now into the cold weather part and I wish I had packed more with that in mind.

In book club, we are reading Hideous Kinky by Esther Freud. The first setting is Marrakesh and the characters travel around Europe.  On my own, I am reading The Goldfinch, which my good friend Maria recommended to me. Its main protagonist is a scumbag but is a sympathetic scumbag. I am rooting for him to solve his problems and find true love.