Friday, November 13, 2015

2015-11-13 On the Way to Tangier

We had several minor activities today. We woke up late at 8 am. We had our usual oatmeal for breakfast, even though there is a plethora of choices. We also picked up some fruit and our favorite raisin buns for later.

I attended book club at 10. We are reading Hideous Kinky by Esther Freud. The whole story takes place in Morocco so that’s the tie in. Two English girls travel by van to Marrakesh with their mother in the 1960’s. Their mother wants to learn more about Sufi, a Muslim sect and to have some adventures. The five year old girl narrates the story. She is an unreliable narrator since much of the action is hidden from her eyes and ears. Our discussion this morning was about the character of the mother. Is she a responsible parent?  What is her relationship to the men they meet?

I finished reading The Goldfinch, a book that was recommended to me by my good friend, Maria. It was excellent. I stayed up late to finish it because I just had to know what happened. The narrator was more reliable but since he suffered a head injury in an explosion along with one of the other main characters, you are left to wonder how much of his behavior resulted from his injury.

Right now, I am reading Orange is the New Black. Bill and I met the actress who plays the transgender character in the TV series but we have never seen the show. We met her when she spoke at the 2014 Equality Utah dinner. So, that gives the book more interest for me. I would be interested in any case, since I know nothing about life in prison except what I read.

In another incident, I was losing the sole on my shoe so I gave it to our room steward, Deo, and he had the handyman glue it back together.

Bill had another problem with his scooter but he was able to change the battery and get it back in operation without involving anyone else.

Our friend, Bob, has been lobbying the front office to get a reserved space for us at the nightly show. Last night, his request was honored and we all applauded for him as we pulled in to our spaces. But, the show was truly awful. They are usually so great but this was a British comedian whose comedy was mostly derogatory towards women. One of his first jokes was that he had a house and a bank account when he first met his girlfriend. It went downhill from there.

We have not yet been to dinner in the main dining room. This is a dress up night so we decided to get dressed up and go. I hope to have fun to have fun chatting with some new people.