Monday, November 23, 2015

2015-11-23 Naples, Italy

All was well in Rome except that it was raining and people who were out on excursions got cold and wet. We stayed on the ship. The pool was still warm so I went swimming. I met the ship doctor and his wife. On their last cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii, 150 of the passengers used mobility scooters. Wow! We have about ten scooters on this cruise. He thinks that being in a scooter is not good for your general health. I have to agree but falling is not good, either. Neither is pain.

We lost some passengers in Rome and took on some new people. All the couples on this cruise are about the same age as their partners. I haven’t seen any old men with younger wives.  Or versa visa. And, most people are married. I think that’s because we are all so old.

We stayed in Rome an extra day because of really rough seas (5 meter waves). The captain said the ship would both pitch and roll in that kind of waves.  That’s the worst for getting nauseous as it produces a corkscrew action. I am planning to strap myself in bed. Thankfully, the captain decided to make it easy on us and avoid the bad weather completely.

We have not been sick at all on this cruise. Bill took half a seasick pill the first day as a precaution and that’s all. No illness on board as far as I can tell. No coughing. No norovirus.
We had two more good shows in a row. Last night was Andrea Amat, a flutist. Tonight we saw The Fly Boys, another British singing group.

I just finished reading The Litigator by John Grisham. It was a formulaic story but I enjoyed it very much. Bill found me another one of his books in the ship’s library. It’s titled Sycamore Row