Tuesday, November 17, 2015

2015-11-17 Barcelona, Spain

We traveled up to the Montserrat Monastery today. I am very excited about visiting Barcelona again because 20% of my DNA comes from this area of the world. This is my homeland (at least, one fifth of my homeland) is right here and Catalonians are my people!

I watched Francois Hollande lead the French congress in singing the Marseilles yesterday. The French are my people, too, and so are the Germans, Swiss, Irish and English.

There are some fabulous views from the Montserrat area. We saw some viaducts and bridges left over from the Romans who founded the city of Barcelona.  There were only 2000 residents in those days.
Very near where the ship is docked there is a famous building designed by Ricardo Bofill. No doubt he is a distant cousin of mine.  The building is shaped like a sail. 

We were at Montserrat pretty early in the morning and there was still fog in the valleys. There are cable cars that run up from the floor of the valley to the top. If you look closely at this picture, you can see the tiny cable car. I will put in the pictures when I have good access.