Thursday, February 2, 2012

2012-2-2 San Diego to Peru

Our peaceful sea days will end tomorrow when we dock in San Diego. About 300 passengers are staying on the ship for the next segment to Peru. We were notified that we need to be off the ship from 9 to 1 to permit a thorough cleaning of the whole ship including cabins. That makes me think that there won’t be any early boarding tomorrow.

I plan to place lots of phone calls between 7 and 9 in the morning. Our friend, Pat, will pick us up about 9. She said she will take us to WalMart and to tour the Old Town area. Pat and Mark are going to serve at the Mormon Battalion site. I have heard it is wonderful so we will get to see for ourselves.

We are looking forward to meeting Ted, Barbara, Bob, Judy and others who will be touring with us in the next month. The last few days were pleasant. We went swimming and to the shows. We missed the last two lectures due to conflicts and totally forgot about the passenger talent show which was reputed to be very good.

Last night, I ordered escargot (snails) which were better than I expected. I sopped up the extra grease with another piece of bread. Then, they brought out the Baked Alaska and it would have been rude to refuse it.



Baked Alaska is supposed to look like the picture but I never got any on board a ship that wasn't a melted mess. Luckily for me, I like meringue, melted ice cream and sauce. 

I went around today and said goodbye to Susan and Erwin from Ontario. She and I seem to think alike, so naturally I think she is brilliant. Erwin told me a very funny joke about being a cowboy. I am definitely not a cowboy. Bill might be one.

There are some brave older women traveling alone. Eleanor had a goal to swim at Fanning Island, which I thought was admirable. Rich is quite a character. He is obsessed with helping the people on Fanning Island.

Ruth uses a scooter but she is fearless. She went ashore on every island, even though she had to be carried down the stairs.

We shared some good times with John and Anita from South Carolina. They own a Mexican restaurant there. Kathy and Mo, Janet and Harold were lots of fun. Jim and Debra told us a story I don’t think I will ever forget about the Northern Lights.

Our neighbors are Barbara, her husband, Ron and their son, Glen. We had a nice talk about the vagaries of life, illness and disabilities. Everyone with a disability of any kind has something in common. There are lots of brave people handling difficult situations.

Our constant dinner partners were John and Lore from Arizona. Shirley and Joan from Florida joined us later. Shirley met both FDR and his wife, Eleanor, several times as they were neighbors. She also worked for Warner Brothers and met many old time movie stars. There are many others whose names I don’t recall.

Betty set up all our trips before we left home. She did a great job. Two couples could not make it due to illness and injury. Susan told me that she got an email from one of them today saying that her surgery for uterine cancer was successful. That’s wonderful.