Saturday, February 4, 2012

2012-2-1 Evaluation of Rotterdam VI cruise

I’m impressed with the crew and staff of the Rotterdam. The captain (who is departing) ran a tight and happy ship. In spite of the sad news about the Costa cruise that ran aground, I never felt in any danger with this captain and crew. They are super competent, handling every situation that arose with skill and authority. 



At the same time, the staff that interacts with the passengers is helpful and long suffering. They handle every situation with professional grace. 

I like several staff members very much. The cruise director is fine. I like Sebbastion, the lifestylist. He is very enthusiastic. I really enjoy his pool exercise class. 

Lisa, the shore excursion person is knowledgeable and hard-working. The front office staff helped me with several problems. 

The laundry staff does a great job. 

The shore excursion people are very responsive. The tender staff is amazing considering who they were dealing with. Some of the passengers should probably be in a care center instead of being lifted into a boat. 

The tender pilots do a great job getting us to and from shore. We didn’t take a lot of shore excursions through HAL but the ones we took were good. I could not ask for more attentive servers and waiters. 

The food is fantastic. I once had a piece of fish that wasn’t totally cooked at a barbecue. But there was so much else to eat that I just moved on to the next item. Mumin and Putro wait on us often in the Lido café and Tua is also very attentive. 

Our room stewards are Dodi and Moi. Ahmed and Yudi wait on us at dinner and do a fine job. The classes in the Digital workshop are exceptionally good and Trevor really is a techspert. 

The Internet Café is the best I have seen on a ship. The manager (who is departing) did a good job of keeping the computers as fast as possible. He was very helpful and so was the librarian. 

As far as the entertainment, there are some talented singers and dancers. The string group is good. The HalCats are exceptional and I especially like the saxophone player. Strykker is fine in the piano bar. 

I really enjoyed the comedian Jack Mayberry and the man who played the ukulele. They were fantastic. I enjoyed the first magician a lot more than the second one. 

The fellow from the Bold and the Beautiful put on a good show. The band and singer that play on the Lido sometimes are really good. I loved Donna, the star lady and her husband, Dan, was good, too. I think calls herself the Donna, the Astronomer online. 

I wish I could have gone to every lecture. It would be nice if the lectures could be simulcast in our rooms. If not that, then we need a listing of when they will be replayed so we can catch them later. 

The TV programming could be improved. It’s pretty limited. I hate Fox News and don’t understand why it is available when other channels actually provide more general news. CNN is better but wasn’t always on. MSNBC and CNBC would be good, too. For that matter, NBC, CBS and ABC would be really great!