Sunday, February 5, 2012

2012-2-5 Cabo San Lucas

I don’t know much about Mexico except what I read in the papers. But this is my second time to Cabo and it doesn’t seem especially dangerous. It advertises itself as a giant playground and lives up to that reputation. 

This is an iconic image looking out to sea from Cabo San Lucas. 



There are people indulging in every type of water activity all along the beautiful Baja peninsula. We saw boats pulling colorful parachutes and para sails. All the activity kept the whales and dolphins away but the captain reported many sightings as we sailed in. 

There was a Super Bowl party on the large fan deck in the stern last night. We sat out there for a while but it got too cold once we started sailing away. The man next to me said, “Don’t worry. The air will be steaming by the time we reach Panama.”

This was my first Super Bowl party and I was disappointed because the commercials were blocked out for some reason. The cruise director asked trivia questions about football during the commercials and we knew none of the answers. Example: “Who was the coach of the team that lost the first Super Bowl?” 

We will dock in Puerto Vallarta today at 10. We took a bus tour the first time we were here in 2010. We met lots of poor people but they all had health insurance, something I lacked at the time. 

Part of the reason we can travel is that I finally aged into Medicare. What a relief! We were paying $1039 a month for my health insurance alone. We moved into the Central Time Zone yesterday. So, we are now an hour ahead of our family in Utah. 

I got up this morning at 6:30 and it was black outside. It seems strange as it was light so early in French Polynesia. I went up to the Internet cafe and got on the Internet easily at that hour. 

I checked Facebook and discovered that my friend, Kris, reported that her brother has been missing in the mountains since Friday. 

My heart goes out to her. I also read the newsletter from church about the two funerals that have been held since we left. So sad. I left some money with a friend to cover a small donation to funerals while we were gone. I hope she remembered. 

On a happier note, I am signed up to play with dolphins this morning! Bill is up and says he feels somewhat better. He said he doesn’t want to get in the water. So I changed his reservation and he will only be an observer. I noticed the captain eating lunch with two other ship officers yesterday near the pool. I went over to thank him for the chocolates that he sent to our room. I also told him I love his name, Syba De Boer. It just rolls off the tongue.