Thursday, February 16, 2012

2012-2-16 Valentine's Day

Another wonderful day on the Rotterdam! We spent the whole day talking about how we can make our life at home more like our life on the ship. It’s just as everyone says—this is the best retirement home in the world. It also reminds me a little of Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov. I always liked that story.

I asked our Indonesian waiters if they did something for their wives for Valentine’s Day. To a man, they called home. I wasn’t sure who celebrates Valentine’s Day. They said it’s pretty much universal, among younger people anyway.

My throat still hurts and I am still coughing. I am still using Tylenol, cough medicine and cough drops. Bill had it but he got over it much sooner.

We went swimming today and it was wonderful. I kept my head out of the water so I don’t think it will make my cold worse.

We went to see the movie, “The Big Year” with Steve Martin and Jack Black in the Wajang Theater. We have already seen it at home but I love birds so I will probably watch it many more times. The other day, I saw Brown Boobies fishing outside our window. They wait for the flying fish to surface and then dive down to get them. I ran upstairs to the promenade deck and took some video. They flew within ten feet of the ship so I got some good pictures.

Tonight, we had a fabulous singer in honor of Valentine’s Day. Her name is Alfreda Gerald and she sang a Tribute to the Divas. It was all florid, romantic songs. She said she doesn’t normally do Whitney Houston but she sang “I Will Always Love You” in her honor and got a well-deserved standing ovation. We have had wonderful entertainment on this cruise.




However, it was another formal night. We have dressed up eleven times in the last month so we didn’t do it tonight. We have stopped going to the main dining room on formal nights. It’s just a nuisance. I agree with Bill--I want to wear only T-shirts and capris until I die.