Tuesday, January 31, 2012

2012-1-31 Mal de Mer

Mal de Mer is French for sea sickness. I don’t usually have a problem but the sea picked up yesterday and I began to feel woozy. I have the scopolamine patches so I put one behind my ear last night. It didn’t help much, although they are supposed to work for three days. So, I took the patch off. 

Looking at screens makes it worse so I went for a long walk out on the promenade. I feel better. Fresh ocean air and looking at the horizon is supposed to help if you feel ill. Lying down and looking at a book or a screen makes it worse. 

If the wooziness comes back, I am going to take a meclizine pill and go to sleep. The Indonesian show is tonight at 11 p.m. If I get a nap, I think I can stay up to see it. It’s always surprising and exciting to see someone who cleans your room or serves you dinner get up in front and channel Elvis, for example. Usually, they perform some folk dances and there is always something funny. 

The performer last night was Jeff Trachta who played Thorne in the Bold and the Beautiful soap opera. I never saw that show but he is definitely talented. He got a long standing ovation. His voice is strong and he also does impressions. He worked up a great show. 

We refuse desserts and that set off our dinner partner last night. He tried to talk me into loosening my rules. I told him I will eat dessert tomorrow night which is our anniversary. I do love ice cream and other goodies but I also enjoying wearing the clothes I brought. 

Later: I did take the meclizine but I still did not feel well enough to stay up until 11 to watch the show. We also set our clocks forward so that was an extra hour to put off sleep. I had to go to bed. I am feeling a little better this morning. The ocean is about the same—mild to moderate swells. Bill feels fine. 

Jeff Trachta held an afternoon meeting to talk about his career. He described a dark period where he was very depressed. His therapist was willing to forgo payment until Jeff got his career back on track. Now, he is working on his one man show. The flat images that were projected behind him will be turned into holograms when he presents the show in Las Vegas. So, his presentation on the Rotterdam was a trial run. He talked to us about what worked and what didn’t. No one could come up with constructive criticism so it was mainly a love fest. 

Today is our 43rd wedding anniversary and our waiter says that he is preparing a special meal for us. I tried to talk him out of it but he insistent. I do plan to eat dessert.