Sunday, January 29, 2012

2012-1-29 The Menu

The quarantine has ended! We are free, free! I no longer walk around the ship with my hands in the air, as though I were preparing to perform surgery. We are still washing our hands furiously. Hopefully, we will have a clean ship for the new tenants when we reach San Diego on Friday. 

The other day, I was accosted in the elevator by a woman who thought I was a ship officer. She had a complaint, although I never found out what it was. Considering how I was dressed, I could understand her confusion a little bit. I wore a white polo shirt and black capris which is vaguely similar to a ship officer’s outfit. I carried my laptop in a black case which probably looks a little like a briefcase. 




Anyway, she bristled with anger as she said, “What is your job on the ship?” I replied, “I don’t have a job on the ship.” “Yes, you do.” “No, I don’t.” “What do you do on this ship?” she demanded. I said, “I eat.” 

I think the other passengers in the elevator would have laughed if she hadn’t been so obviously angry. Instead, one of them said to me, “You look exactly like my friend, Val.” I think it was an attempt to lighten the mood. I do have doppelgangers all over the world. I must look German as those are the women I get compared to the most. 

I need to buy some casual clothes that look less like a uniform. If I get a chance, I will look around in San Diego. I also plan to call our children, grandchildren, dog and some friends. 

I need to call the Post Office as they will only hold our mail for one month. Last night was another formal dinner. I am happy that I still fit into my dressy outfit. But, there is a problem with the belt on my pants. It has shrunk, probably due to humidity and the sea air. 

I kept my copy of last night’s menu as a memento. Two days ago, I was amused by the Celebration of Fruit Cocktail. There is usually a fruit appetizer on the menu. All the dishes have fanciful names. I told Bill that when we get home, I am no longer serving plain fruit cocktail from the can. From now, I will sprinkle it with something and it will become a Celebration.

There are standard dishes that are available daily which include: onion soup, Caesar salad, salmon with mashed potatoes and veggies, grilled breast of chicken, top sirloin steak and a baked potato with steamed veggies. 

Last night, I had the Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail (plump chilled shrimp with cocktail sauce). Bill had the Baby Pineapple Boat (glistening morsels of pineapple and berries, with toasted coconut shavings). Then, I had the Chilled Raspberry Soup (refreshing and creamy smooth, topped with almond macaroon crumbles). Bill skipped the second course. For the entrée, Bill had the grilled chicken. I ordered the Spinach and Goat Cheese Stuffed Quail (pineapple glazed stuffed quail, served with corn smoked risotto, oven-roasted plum tomato and sesame tossed snow peas and carrot). They didn’t mention the gravy which was really tasty. 

One of our companions had the Oysters Rockefeller which he didn’t like. He said could only taste the spinach and cheese topping. Everyone else ordered the Filet Mignon “Oscar” (A filet mignon grilled to perfection crowned with crab meat and béarnaise sauce, served with asparagus spears, grilled tomato and Duchess Potatoes). We usually skip the dessert menu and leave a little early to catch the show or a movie. 

Last night we saw a new comedian/magician who was good but not as good as the last one. The old entertainers got off in Tahiti and we got a new group. Jack Mayberry, the comedian, was soooo good. We are still retelling his jokes. 

The Star Lady and her husband are still on board and giving great lectures. She talked about orchids yesterday and he talked about the eruption of Krakatoa east of Java in 535 A.D. That’s not the one we usually think about. The earlier one changed our world in ways we don’t normally recognize. I started a new book in the series about Precious Rabotswa and the Number One Ladies Detective Agency.