Saturday, January 21, 2012

2012-1-21 Raiatea

I was able to get online at a café in Raiatea but it was more trouble than it was worth. I did look at Facebook and caught up a little with the news at home. But, it wouldn’t let me go back in the past more than a week. We were told that Raiatea doesn’t generally accept US dollars and that turned out to be true. Also, we could get online at the Post Office but it was closed. 

We found a grocery store where we bought a few items and got French Polynesian francs that way. We found an internet café easily but there were only six computers. I couldn’t use my stick to upload and Bill couldn’t use his computer which he had hauled all over in his backpack. 

The computer had a different keyboard and that slowed me down considerably. It was not as difficult to use as the ones in Japan but still not easy. For one thing, you have to shift for a period. I guess they don’t use periods much. 

I looked at my blog and discovered that I haven’t uploaded some entries that I believed I had uploaded. I saw the message from Stevie and from Ted. I think I answered Ted’s question about the crew. 

I saw some flowers on the sink when I used a public restroom.  The flowers grow wild here. 




And we can’t go on any long walks so that leaves out visits to places that don’t allow scooters. This town is not set up for them and so Bill struggled along with his walker. I was able to look at both my AOL email and my Gmail accounts. I am happy to discover that some of you are following along on the blog. It’s just too hard to use email on the ship. It’s very slow.





I took this when we were sailing away from Raiatea.