Monday, January 23, 2012

2012-1-24 Tahiti

We took a day off from cruise excursions in Papeete, Tahiti. We are docked so we Bill rode his red scooter. We went a few blocks around the city and then came back to the comfort and shelter of the ship.

Here is a Tahitian candy store and some other places we saw in Papeete. 



















Surprisingly to me, Tahiti is not paradise. I had a friend who was born and raised in Tahiti. She warned me that it wasn't what I thought it was. She was right. 

I saw a big handwritten sign in one of the alleys that said, “Gangs”. There is graffiti and idle looking young men hanging around. 

The dock area is good for scooters but we had a lot of problems with high curbs just a few blocks away. The city is not handicap friendly. 

Papeete was built into a major port by the French in the 1960’s and now it has all the problems of a large city. 




We saw some Chinese New Year activity with men using a red dragon. I think that the store was being blessed for the New Year or something like that. 




This Tahitian tree was used as a drum to send messages long distances. 




I took a short movie. Bill is taking a nap. As I was walking around the ship, I passed the theater. It was half full. I slipped in and watched the beginning of “The Help”. They passed out bags of popcorn, too.