Thursday, May 9, 2013

2013-5-9 Walking Through Pompeii

Today, we were planning to go to the Naples Archeology Museum but we were uncertain about how we would manage it, mobility wise. So, I decided to go to Pompeii alone. Bill was a good sport about it. Our daughter visited Pompeii so I had a good idea what to expect.


It was a beautiful day. Pompeii was not too warm and not too crowded. The site is large and beautiful. Mt. Vesuvius looms in the distance. It took us two hours to see just a portion of the town. It’s the only ancient place we have visited that I can actually imagine living in.

We lined up to go in at the Porta Marina entrance. We had a guide and I did my best to keep up. 



Mount Vesuvius is still active and looms over the site. 




This was a shop in ancient time where you could purchase food. It may have been the equivalent of a fast food place. 







I was interested in this brick work.