Friday, September 8, 2017

2017-9-8 Sitka, Alaska

It was pouring down rain in Sitka this morning so we decided to stay on the ship. I took a few pictures. One pic shows where some of the other handicapped and elderly cruisers go on these excursion days. The beautiful Russian influenced cabinet is just part of the art on board the Amsterdam.

I didn’t sleep well last night and actually fell asleep on my chair while we were driving to the elevator for breakfast. This is totally unlike me. It has to have something to do with Ambien.

My chair is a technical miracle and it has a backpack feature where a person can drive the chair from the back. Once Bill realized that I was asleep, he turned on the backpack and drove me back to the room in the chair.

He said I got out of the chair and laid down on the bed. He put a blanket over me and I settled in to go back to sleep. He told me he was going to go to breakfast and I told him to bring me back a bun. I eat oatmeal for breakfast so I don’t know what I meant by that. He brought back some bun type things.

At lunchtime, one of the Lido directors came over to ask questions about my chair. He heard that a chair like this one costs as much as a car. I said that this one cost about $17,000 when it was new. But I bought it used from Marc’s Mobility in Florida for $3700. Marc sent it wrapped up on a pallet. It had all the information with it as well as new batteries and he didn’t charge sales tax.

Many people ask us if it’s possible to fly with a chair like this. It is but I was afraid to do it. We had a walker broken by the airlines once and they replaced it but you are without one for a period of time. Also, one of the people on our last cruise had his scooter damaged in transit. He had to rent one from the cruise line. That worked out fine because they still had one to rent. Later, they were all rented and a man was looking for a cane to use on the ship. We loaned him one of Bill’s canes.

We are watching the news coverage of Hurricane Irma on MSNBC. They reported that thousands of cruise ship passengers were basically dumped off in Florida without their luggage and, more importantly, without their medication. Many of them were not from the U.S. They can’t get on a plane to get out of the area. Other people were in line to get on planes and were turned away after they had already put their luggage in the system. That’s why we always put our pills in our carryon and keep it close to us. We have peanut M & M’s in that bag for similar reasons.