Sunday, September 3, 2017

2017-9-3 On the Way to Anchorage

Stormy weather today. The captain told us to batten down the hatches. By that he meant that we should remove things that might fall off our shelves, etc. Last night, all the deck chairs were removed and stowed so they don’t bang around on the deck.

And…we were upstairs an hour ago when we went into a very big roll to port and everything fell off the counters at the coffee bar and off the desk of the cruise consultant. Flowers, vases, files, brochures, cups, trays—they all came tumbling down and spread out across the rug.

The captain told us that he is using the stablilizers as much as possible to smooth out the gyrations of the ship. I haven’t heard of any bad falls yet so that’s good. The passengers are just a step above the clientele of your average rest home. He doesn’t want anyone to get hurt.

A few years ago, I met a woman in the elevator who said she had fallen on that very ship and broke her hip just six months before. She was back on another cruise but using a cane.

We have had very mild weather thus far and could hardly detect any motion of the ocean. Bill and I haven’t had even a hint of seasickness.

Yesterday, we went to an Adaggio performance. I saw people looking out the window so I asked what they were looking at. I hoped there were some more whales spouting. But they were just looking at the mountains. I said,

"Pshaw. I wouldn't turn around to look at the mountains. We see them every day at home." 


It turned out they weren't really looking at mountains. They were looking at enormous glaciers at the foot of the mountains. I took a couple of pics but they aren't great because the windows were streaked.