Saturday, October 24, 2015

2015-10-24 The Food Challenge

I have some bad news. I gained weight since I had back surgery in April, 2015. I wasn't light before that but my weight was reasonable. Now I am up to 209, the heaviest I have ever been (except for the time we lived on the Navajo Nation and it was too dangerous to walk).


So, I plan lose some weight on the cruise. It sounds crazy but neither of us gained on our last two month cruise in 2013. We refused desserts and exercised quite a bit during that cruise. We both swam almost every day. I walked around the deck and took the stairs instead of the elevator. 

Exercise will be more difficult this time. I have a persistent problem with my right knee.  I hurt it when I fell on the steps in the garage. I was wearing those stupid  huarache sandals that were popular then. They were slick on the bottom and I slipped. My right leg flew out and hit the tire on the car. I tore the meniscus and that cascaded into four surgeries on my knee.

It was replaced in 2005 and it never stopped hurting. That didn't stop me from walking but I need to stop now. The doctor said my kneecap is being pulled down by scar tissue so it's out of place below my knee. Every time I take a step, the tendon rubs on the kneecap and then my knee swells up. I have to ice it until it calms down which takes a day or two. He said the only way to keep it from swelling is to stop walking. There is no surgery that will repair the scar tissue as more will form. 

Because the tendon in my knee shrunk, it actually has made my right leg shorter. So, I walk with a limp. The constant flexing caused stress on my back which, in turn, probably caused the vertebrae to break in spine. That, an old age. 

That's why I have gained weight. Walking was my go-to means of keeping my weight down. I used to walk two miles a day at home and on the ship.

I can do some upper body work with weights in the gym but the treadmill is out as an option. The other thing I can do is swim. The pool is usually pretty cold but I plan to swim whenever it's tolerable. 

Bill weighs 238 and is not happy about it. He plans to swim, too. He orders oatmeal for breakfast. At lunch, he asks the stir fry person to make him pasta and vegetables. He orders special dinners without salt. He asks for whatever meat or fish is available along with a potato and vegetables. He has amazing will power. 



I think we can do it. We have eaten almost everything that is served on a cruise already. I made sure to try anything new every time so now we been there and done that.